Updated details have been revealed for a community arts center at 1353 E 72nd Street in Greater Grand Crossing. Located just west of the intersection with S Dorchester Avenue, the project will rehabilitate the previously abandoned St. Laurence Catholic School which has sat vacant after past redevelopment plans failed. The creative force behind the new art-focused spaces is the Rebuild Foundation led by Theaster Gates who is well known for his Stony Island Arts Bank project. Woman-owned Muller 2 known for their O’Hare Terminal 5 extension are serving as the architects, while Power & Sons as the general contractor.
In a recent town hall in the 49th Ward, Alderwoman Maria Hadden updated community members on the future of the closed St. Ignatius church located at 6559 N Glenwood Avenue in Rogers Park. The church was built in 1917 and designed by noted architect Henry J Schlacks. Schlacks notably started his career in the offices of Adler & Sullivan before starting his own practice.
Facade work is now underway at Tandem’s 1044 W Van Buren Street, a new 18-story rental residential tower in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood. The 196-unit development will rise along the southern edge of the neighborhood, replacing a former vacant lot.
Permits have been issued for the upcoming Green Line CTA station located at 2001 W Lake Street in the Near West Side. YIMBY previously reported on the upcoming stop which will service the growing west side area, as well as the nearby United Center. The project has experienced several setbacks in the timeline mainly due to budgeting issues. The station was announced in 2017 and was originally planned to open in 2020.
Demolition permits were issued earlier this week to remove a two-story multi-residence and a detached garage located at 3108 N Leavitt Street in the North Center neighborhood. The owner is listed as Leavitt Street View LLC.