The Chicago City Council has approved the 8.1-acre North Union megadevelopment in the Near North Side. Generally bounded by the CTA Brown Line tracks and W Oak Street, W Chestnut Street, and N Wells Street, the North Union site will spread across eight acres. Planned by JDL Development, the project site is currently occupied by one- or two-story buildings, parking lots, and an athletic field, all part of the Moody Bible Institute campus. The entire plan reserves 9.4 acres for Moody Bible Institute while turning over the remaining 8.1 acres over to JDL.
Conversion work is nearing completion for the Phoenix Development Partners project at 226 W Jackson Boulevard in The Loop, where the developer has planned to convert a former 14-story office building into two separate hotels. The original 238,000-square-foot edifice was constructed in 1904 and is classified as a National Historic Landmark. Prior to the conversion, the structure housed the headquarters of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, then later the headquarters for the City Colleges of Chicago.
The Chicago City Council has approved the landmark status for the Pentecostal Church of Holiness in North Lawndale. Formerly named Our Lady of Lourdes, the church is located at 4208 W 15th Street, at the intersection of W 15th Street and S Keeler Avenue. Originally constructed in 1932, the structure was designed by architect Louis Guenzel.