The Victor F. Lawson House, a historic 24-story building at 30 W Chicago Avenue in the Near North Side, has received new windows as part of its ongoing affordable apartment transformation. This 1931 Art Deco tower, one of the tallest buildings in Chicago at the time, was designed by Perkins, Chatten & Hammond.
Demolition permits have been issued for 1844 W Irving Park Road in North Center. The site has B3-2 zoning and the owner is listed as 2020 15th Avenue LLC. The permit allows for the removal of the existing three-story masonry mixed-use building.
Construction on 920 N Wells Street has officially reached its peak, with the 21-story mixed-use building now topping out in Near North Side. JDL, the developer of nearby One Chicago, is also behind this current structure and its encompassing North Union development, one of Chicago’s largest single plans currently underway. The overall $1.3 billion project will span multiple blocks of land that had been sold by the nearby Moody Bible Institute.
Updates have been revealed for the city-wide Our Roots Chicago initiative with an emphasis on the south and west sides. Announced earlier this year, Mayor Lori Lightfoot put forward a plan to plant over 75,000 trees over the next five years across all neighborhoods but with an emphasis on those that have historically seen disinvestment in their green spaces. This is being executed in collaboration with locally-based organization Openlands and Seven-D Construction Co who is executing on planting.
New permits were issued this past week for a new four-story mixed-use building at 1355 N Western Avenue in West Town. The permit owner is filed under 1353 Western LLC, and according to plans, the development will be comprised of 12 units and retail on the first floor. The building will include front and rear balconies across levels, a rooftop deck, elevators, and an interior parking garage with six spaces. The new structure will replace an existing two-flat.