Foundation work is progressing for the University of Illinois Chicago’s new computer science building, set to rise five stories at 900 W Taylor Street in Little Italy. Known as the Computer Design Research and Learning Center, this five-story structure will attach to UIC’s existing Science and Engineering Labs building while adding 135,000 square feet of new programming.
The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning for a mixed-use development at 3150 N Racine Avenue in Lakeview. The project on the corner with W Belmont Avenue recently received its approval from the Plan Commission and will be able to proceed with permitting when it sees fit. Being developed as an expansion to the adjacent Single Room Occupancy (SRO) building operated by developer Mercy Housing, the expansion continues the same design language and is being led by local firm Landon Bone Baker.
A permit was issued last week for a three-story residential building with a masonry facade at 3018 W Lyndale Street in the Logan Square neighborhood. The proposed project’s owner is listed as Volo Holdings LLC. The permit details that there will be three dwelling units, a basement, rear porches, and a detached three-car garage. Both structures will feature their own rooftop decks. The construction will replace a vacant lot.
The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning for two new high-rises in Fulton Market. The projects are located on opposite ends of the district, with the residential-based 1353 W Fulton Street anchoring the west end of the growing area and 360 N Green Street continuing the string of commercial mixed-use properties along Green Street on the eastern end of the neighborhood. Both towers recently received Plan Commission approval as well.
Construction has surpassed the third floor at 1039-41 W Belmont Avenue, a four-story retail and residential building in Lakeview. The mixed-use structure has been planned by the occupying owner Cumin Restaurant, originally listed as Kathmandu Properties in the issued permit. Prior to construction, the parcel was occupied by a two-story masonry building, which was demolished in 2019.