Construction of the Damen Green Line Station continues at 2001 W Lake Street in the Near West Side, under the management of the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). Initiated in 2017, the project has faced delays and a budget increase, now totaling $80.2 million. This development aims to reintroduce rail service to an area that has lacked it since the original station’s demolition in 1948. The original Damen Green Line station, constructed in 1893, was ultimately demolished 55 years later, alongside nine other stations, due to decreased demand and the CTA’s efforts to improve service efficiency.
Near West Side
Construction has reached its full height for Westhaven Park IID, located at 1959 W Lake Street in the Near West Side. Situated at the corner of N Damen Avenue and W Lake Street, this mixed-use building is adjacent to the upcoming CTA Damen Green Line station. The project is a joint venture involving Brinshore Development, The Michaels Organization, and the Chicago Housing Authority, with architectural design by LBBA Architects.
Marquette Companies has completed and celebrated the grand opening of The Thompson at Fulton Market, a 210-unit mixed-use apartment complex located at 150 N Ashland Avenue in the Near West Side. Occupying the site of the former Mary Thompson Hospital, this development combines a newly constructed 12-story building with a renovated five-story brick building from the 1920s. The project is named in honor of Dr. Mary Thompson, Chicago’s first female doctor and first woman known to have performed major surgery.
Permits have been issued for the construction of a three-story residential building at 2019 West Washington Boulevard in Near West Side. Permits were issued on January 29, and the project’s estimated budget is $850,000.
Ranked 22nd in our annual tallest construction project list, The Thompson at Fulton Market is a 12-story building at 150 N Ashland Avenue, across from Union Park. Nearing the end of construction, this 154-foot development by Marquette Companies merges modern design with historical architecture, integrating a 1920s five-story brick building into its south side.