The Chicago Plan Commission has approved the mixed-use development at 1549 N Fremont Street in the Near North Side. Located just south of the intersection with W North Avenue, the currently vacant lot is surrounded by the multi-story Toyota dealership on its two non-street facing sides. Pitched by the previous developer as an Aloft Hotel, the new team from City Pads Chicago is working with local firm NORR Architects on the low-rise building for the 145- by 184-foot site.
Articles by Ian Achong
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved two residential developments at 1405 and 1410 E 65th Place in Woodlawn. Located west of the intersection with S Blackstone Avenue near Mount Carmel High School, the two multi-unit buildings will sit across from each other replacing a pair of vacant lots in the process. Developer DOM Acquisitions LLC is working with a local architect who had to revise the previous plan in order for both structures to have a similar design language.
Formal details have been revealed for the new framework plan of the large lot at W 18th Street and S Peoria Street in Pilsen. The 6.3-acre plot is one of the largest left in the neighborhood and has been owned by the city since mid-2022, when it bought it for $12 million from its previous owner PMG Investments LLC. Now the city itself with the Chicago Department of Housing (DOH) is proposing a plan led by AECOM along with local firms UrbanWorks and Koo Architecture, as part of a $1 billion being spent on affordable housing.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved the new Cancer Center at 5654 S Drexel Avenue on the University of Chicago campus in Hyde Park. Located north of the intersection with E 57th Street, the new center will replace one of the last remaining open spaces occupied by a parking lot within the existing hospital complex. Proposed by the university and designed by local firm CannonDesign, the project builds on the recently started Harper Court Phase 2 nearby as the institution continues to grow its medical and life sciences departments.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved the partial redevelopment of the high-rise at 446 E Ontario Street in Streeterville. Located just west of N Jean Baptiste Du Sable Lake Shore Drive and Ohio Street Beach, the current tower known as the Onterie Center serves as an office and residential tower near the Northwestern downtown campus with views of the lake. Now with the current changes in demand, developer 441 Erie LLC is working with an undisclosed architect to convert a group of floors into a new extended stay hotel.