In this edition of ‘Lost Legends,’ we focus on the Schiller Building, a historic tower in The Loop that was pivotal in Chicago’s cultural and architectural history. From its opening in 1892 to its controversial demolition in 1961, its story exhibits a familiar arc in this series: one of architectural innovation, cultural significance, loss, and reflection.
Renovation permits have been issued for 180 W Adams Street, an eight-story building in The Loop, a conversion of existing office space into residential units. The project will see the building’s unit count increase from 36 to 39 dwelling units. This renovation involves converting three office spaces on the second floor into new apartments. The building, fully sprinklered, will undergo this change in accordance with detailed plans and is subject to certified corrections, field inspections, and audits.
A potential buyer has been revealed for the Jewelers Building at 35 E Wacker Drive in The Loop. Located right on the river on the intersection with N Wabash Avenue, the historic building was most recently owned by Toronto-based real estate firm Dorchester. Now it would appear that local developer Mike Reschke is in talks to potentially purchase and redevelop the tower according to Crain’s.
The first demolition permit has been issued for the massive renovation of the Thompson Center, located at 100 W Randolph Street in The Loop. With a value of $6 million, this permit will facilitate the removal of non-structural interior and exterior elements, paving the way for the forthcoming redevelopment.
A new YMCA has been announced as the anchor tenant for the mixed-use development at 331 S Plymouth Court in The Loop. Located on the intersection with W Van Buren Street directly across from the Harold Washington Library, the project was originally announced in 2021. Dubbed Assemble Chicago, it is being developed by The Community Builders with Studio Gang, DesignBridge, and JAQ working on its design.