The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church at 4501 S Vincennes Avenue in Grand Boulevard. Located on the intersection with E 45th Street, the historical church is credited as being the birthplace of Gospel music and a long term stalwart of the local community. Under a new pastor, the church hopes to see a renaissance as it uses the money for the restoration of the Dankmar Adler designed synagogue, originally built for the Isaiah Temple congregation.
Articles by Ian Achong
Updated renderings have been revealed for the tallest building of the Shops at Big Deahl development at 1475 N Kingsbury Street in the Near North Side. Located directly on the corner with W Blackhawk Street, the tower is part of the multi-structure project that is quickly rising near the Chicago River and Wild Mile park. Developer Structured Development is working with Fitzgerald Associates Architects on its design near the Clybourn Corridor area, with Power Construction executing its build out.
Updated details have been revealed for the mixed-use development at 330 N Green Street in Fulton Market. Located just north of the intersection with W Wyman Street, the project replaces an empty lot that once held the Coyne College building. Developer Sterling Bay also built the structure across the street at 333 N Green Street as well as the one to the north at 360 N Green Street. Being one of the main driving forces in the neighborhood, they have partnered with Gensler for the new design of the building which was originally proposed a few years back.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Pui Tak Center at 2216 S Wentworth Avenue in Chinatown. Located just south of the intersection with W Cermak Road near the Chinatown Gate, the multi-story structure has been an anchor for the surrounding community for decades. Originally built for On Leong Merchants Association in 1928, it was designed by architects Christian S. Michaelsen and Sigurd A. Rognstad in an Orientalism-style.
The City of Chicago has announced a new program which seeks to revitalize the aging LaSalle Street corridor in The Loop. Dubbed LaSalle Street Reimagined, the program launched this week with an Invitation For Proposals (IFP) by the Department of Planning and Development as well as the Department of Housing. The boundary of the area for projects will be W Washington Street to the north, W Van Buren Street to the south, N Wells street to the west, and mainly N Clark Street to the east, encompassing much of the once bustling financial district.