The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning for two new public spaces at 2550 N Milwaukee Avenue and 2420 N Sacramento Avenue in Logan Square. Located at either ends of the recently completed Logan Apartments that replaced the long-running Megamall flea market a few years ago. The underutilized lots are being developed by the Chicago Park District in collaboration with Alderman Scott Waguespack and local community groups, all of which are working with the Chicago office of architecture firm SmithGroup on the design of both proposals.
Articles by Ian Achong
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved a new residential development at 5356 N Sheridan Road in Edgewater. Located on the southwest corner with W Balmoral Avenue, the new project will replace an existing two-story house most recently holding the Wing Hoe Restaurant and its surrounding parking lot. Arkansas-based developer Tempus Group Holding, LLC is working with 2R/Z Architecture on the design for the lakefront-adjacent lot that recently changed hands from its original developer, MCZ, who proposed a similarly dense building back in 2018.
The Chicago City Council has approved a new mixed-use development at 1912 W Division Street in Wicker Park. Located just west of the intersection with N Wolcott Avenue, the proposal will replace a surface parking lot currently used predominantly by the Red Square Baths next door. Developer 1912 Division LLC, a part of Elk Enterprises, is working with local architecture firm FitzGerald Associates on the modern design that will be joining other infill structures on the popular commercial strip.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved updated plans for the residential development at 1805 N Hamlin Avenue in Logan Square. Located right off of the westernmost edge of the 606 trail, the new project replaces a one-story masonry-clad industrial building at the nexus of Logan Square, Humboldt Park, and Hermosa. Dubbed Encuentro Square, developer Latin United Community Housing Association (LUCHA) is working with Canopy Architecture and Site Design Group on the project, which has received some edits from the last time YIMBY reported on the design.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved a new industrial development at 1237 W Division Street in West Town. The proposal replaces a currently empty lot and parking lot that once housed a Peoples Gas facility on the corner of N Elston Avenue, bound by the Metra UP-N and NW tracks to the west. The project is being led by developers LPC Division I with Ware Malcomb serving as the architect for the modern design in the quickly changing area.