The Chicago City Council has approved a mixed-use development at 170 N Green Street in Fulton Market as well as a commercial development at 1132 W Blackhawk Street on Goose Island. Both projects were recently approved by the Plan Commission as well late last month, they will now be able to apply for construction permits and schedule a forthcoming groundbreaking. 170 N Green Street is a joint project from partner developers CRG and Shapack Partners, while 1132 W Blackhawk Street is being proposed by the Mars-Wrigley Company.
Articles by Ian Achong
Initial details have been revealed for a residential development at 1649 N Halsted Street in Old Town. Located just north of the intersection with W North Avenue and across the street from the recently expanded Steppenwolf Theater, the project would replace the multi-building complex of the Royal George Theater and its adjoining parking garage. Developer Draper & Kramer recently updated their website to show the first rendering of the new structure which also includes the 2020 proposal by JDL at 1623 N Halsted Street.
The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning for two new public spaces at 2550 N Milwaukee Avenue and 2420 N Sacramento Avenue in Logan Square. Located at either ends of the recently completed Logan Apartments that replaced the long-running Megamall flea market a few years ago. The underutilized lots are being developed by the Chicago Park District in collaboration with Alderman Scott Waguespack and local community groups, all of which are working with the Chicago office of architecture firm SmithGroup on the design of both proposals.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved a new residential development at 5356 N Sheridan Road in Edgewater. Located on the southwest corner with W Balmoral Avenue, the new project will replace an existing two-story house most recently holding the Wing Hoe Restaurant and its surrounding parking lot. Arkansas-based developer Tempus Group Holding, LLC is working with 2R/Z Architecture on the design for the lakefront-adjacent lot that recently changed hands from its original developer, MCZ, who proposed a similarly dense building back in 2018.
The Chicago City Council has approved a new mixed-use development at 1912 W Division Street in Wicker Park. Located just west of the intersection with N Wolcott Avenue, the proposal will replace a surface parking lot currently used predominantly by the Red Square Baths next door. Developer 1912 Division LLC, a part of Elk Enterprises, is working with local architecture firm FitzGerald Associates on the modern design that will be joining other infill structures on the popular commercial strip.