Last week, Chicago YIMBY had the opportunity to step inside 800 Fulton, a 19-story office and retail building that recently completed construction in West Loop‘s Fulton Market District. Developed by Thor Equities alongside joint venture partner QuadReal, the 300-foot monolith at 800 W Fulton Market spans nearly half a million square feet, offering tenants column-free layouts, private terraces, and 13-foot floor spans. The lower three levels offer 35,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.
Articles by Jack Crawford
Renovation permits have been approved for an existing three-story masonry building under the address 1840 W Augusta Boulevard in West Town. The alterations will comprise of an interior conversion from six to eight dwellings, as well as the construction of a new rear porch and basement slab. The permit ownership has been listed under the name “1840 W Augusta LLC Agent Gabe Horstick.”
This week, Chicago YIMBY had the opportunity to tour a new construction prototype known as SPLAM (short for “SPatial LAMinated timber”), built as part of the 2021 Chicago Architectural Biennial. The single-story piece is located at EPIC Academy’s South Shore campus in South Chicago. The exact address for the project is 8255 S Houston Avenue, the same address as EPIC Academy.
Demolition permits have been issued for a two-story frame residential building and a detached masonry garage, located at 3712 N Marshfield Avenue in Lake View. The permit’s owner has been filed under the name Westford Development LLC. As of now the property is zoned for RS-3 Residential Single-Unit District, which permits both single-family homes and two-flats. RS-3 also allows for a floor area ratio (FAR) of 0.9, whereby any new development may hold up to 90 percent of the square footage of the containing lot. As of now, no plans appear to have been submitted to upgrade this zoning designation.
The concrete core for Salesforce Tower Chicago is now at roughly the two-thirds height mark, set to rise 60 stories at the southwest tip of River North. The 1.2 million-square-foot skyscraper at 333 W Wolf Point Plaza is the final staple in a three-building masterplan known as Wolf Point, developed by Hines and in partnership with the Joseph P. Kennedy Family. The Wolf Point parcel is just under three acres, occupying an outcrop that borders the confluence of the Chicago River. This land has served a swath of purposes since the first settling of Chicago, ranging from a parking lot prior to the current development all the way back to the site of the city’s first tavern.