Work has completed for the second phase of the Steppenwolf Theater campus expansion in Lincoln Park. This new theater-in-the-round is now open for performances, with 50,000 total square feet of space and seating for 400 patrons. The building at 1646 N Halsted Street, designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, also comes with a two-story atrium and lobby, a wine bar and lounge area, as well as a costume shop.
Articles by Jack Crawford
Replacement roofing can now be seen taking place atop the main shed at West Town’s former Morton Salt Warehouse. This replacement serves as the first key step in a larger adaptive re-use project, which will transform the former facility into a new entertainment and office venue. Located at 1357 N Elston Avenue, the factory was originally completed in 1930, where it long served as the central production and manufacturing hub for the salt company. In 2017, R2 Companies purchased the aging complex from Morton Salt, while partnering with Blue Star Star Properties and Skydeck (a subsidiary of The Michael Polsky Family Office in Chicago) in the process.
Metal paneling continues to enshroud the six-story office building at 1525 N Elston Avenue in West Town. Developed by Property Adventures Corp, the boutique project encompasses 18,000 square feet, with office space divided between five suites on the second through sixth floors.
Masonry installation has begun to enshroud a trio of residential buildings, known collectively as Schiller Place Apartments in Near North Side. Set to replace a previously vacant lot at 711-749 W Schiller Street, the project will come with a total of 48 apartments ranging from one- to two- bedroom residences. Co-developers Evergreen Real Estate and Structured Development plan for 16 units in each building, with eight total residences designated as affordable.
Caisson drilling can be seen at the site of a new 23-story mixed-use building at 808 N Cleveland Avenue in Near North Side. The 284-foot-tall edifice will further expand Downtown’s density northwestward, given its location directly across Chicago Avenue from the northern edge of River North.