Construction can be seen at the site of West Town‘s 1690 N Elston Avenue, where Property Adventures Corporation has planned a boutique office redevelopment of a former industrial building. This existing masonry structure will be renovated, while a new 10,000-square-foot addition will attach to its west-facing side.
Articles by Jack Crawford
New walls, signage, and windows can be seen along the exterior of the former Morton Salt Factory in West Town, where developers R2 Companies, Blue Star Properties, and Skydeck have planned an adaptive re-use renovation. This revamped complex at 1357 N Elston Avenue will house a new entertainment venue inside the main shed, as well as supplementary R&D offices for Morton Salt in the old packaging buildings. Other changes include the removal of the east shed, a new one-story access corridor, and a new food stand within the former garage.
Structural work has now passed the first floor for “The Seng,” part of the second phase of Structured Development‘s masterplan known as the Shops at Big Deahl. Located at 869 W Blackhawk Street in the Clybourn Avenue corridor, this new mid rise will yield 34 affordable units, whose future residents will be chosen by the Chicago Community Land Trust alongside the Chicago Department of Housing.
Structural work has topped out for the eight-story life sciences center known as ALLY at 1229 W Concord Place. This 320,000 square-foot development by Sterling Bay is the first phase of the gargantuan Lincoln Yards master plan, which will ultimately span 55 acres along Chicago’s North Branch Corridor.
Demolition permits have now been issued for a three-story building at 140 N Ashland Avenue in Near West Side, where developer Marquette Companies has planned a 12-story mixed-use building. The to-be-demolished edifice formerly housed the Women’s Treatment Center, which has since relocated as part of a downsizing. Its replacement will integrate with an adjacent 1920s-era brick and limestone building, offering 210 apartments in total.