The Chicago Plan Commission has approved a mixed-use development at 1203 N California Avenue in Humboldt Park. Located on the corner with W Division Street, the project replaces an empty lot and is being developed by the Hispanic Housing Development Corporation with architects Pappageorge Haymes Partners. Rising on Paseo Boricua, the building will contribute to the growing neighborhood with an 89 percent Latino population.
Coming in at ninth place in Chicago YIMBY’s year-end countdown is 900 Randolph in the Fulton Market District. The mixed-use tower marks what is the first of many coming skyscrapers in the neighborhood that will redefine the city skyline and largely expand it west, the structure itself will top out at 495 feet tall, far above anything surrounding it. Developer Related Midwest selected the acclaimed New York-based firm Morris Adjmi Architects for the industrial-style building directly north of famed restaurant row.
Just south of the CTA L’s Ashland station, fencing can be seen around a three-story midcentury building, which upon its imminent demolition will be replaced by a new 12-story mixed-use building development. This 154-foot-tall project by Marquette Companies will integrate with a five-story 1920’s-era building at the south end of the block. The 140 N Ashland Avenue property previously housed the Women’s Treatment Center, whose operations are currently downsizing and prompted the organization to relocate.
The edifice’s story begins almost exactly 100 years ago, when The Chicago Tribune newspaper held a public competition to design its new headquarters. The key guideline was to design the “most beautiful office building” in the world, with over 260 submissions vying for that title and a first prize of $50,000 (roughly $800,000 in 2021). The winning entry was the Neo-Gothic design by New York-based Raymond Hood and John Mead Howells, whose dramatic Neo-Gothic design came to fruition with the tower’s completion in 1925. The Chicago Landmark would serve as the Tribune’s headquarters for another 93 years, up until its 2018 relocation to One Prudential Plaza. Upon the departure, the property was sold for $240 million to co-developers CIM Group and Golub & Company.
With scaffolding now removed and final facade and interior touches underway, we now have a final picture of the six-story 1123 W Randolph Street development in West Loop. Planned by Interra Realty at the corner of Randolph Street and May Street, this mixed-use mid-rise is poised to accommodate retail space on the first two floors and nine apartment units on the remaining four floors.