Exterior renovation can be seen making headway at Carman Hall, located at 60 E 32nd Street within the Illinois Institute of Technology campus in Bronzeville. Originally designed by the famed German architect Ludgwig Mies van Der Rohe, the nine-story dormitory building was completed in 1955. Recently, the midcentury residential building sat unused and in need of repair.
Photos show the ongoing renovation and restoration work at the six-story former Temptation Chocolates Building, located at 1929 S Halsted Street in the Pilsen neighborhood. The 1920’s-era building is clad in a white terra cotta facade in the neo-gothic style.
Photos show the roof replacement for the prominent shed portion of Chicago’s Morton Salt Warehouse Complex in West Town. This replacement is one of the first key steps in a major adaptive re-use project that will transform the complex at 1357 N Elston Avenue into an office and entertainment venue.
This week, Chicago YIMBY stopped by the newly renovated outdoor terrace behind the Michigan Plaza office complex, which occupies two international-style buildings at 205 and 225 N Michigan Avenue in New Eastside. The roughly one-acre venue will connect to the now offer various activities, such as a putting green, a fire pit, a bocce court, and a bar. Prior to construction, the parcel offered an open plaza space with much sparser vegetation and seating.
Renovation permits have been approved for an existing three-story masonry building under the address 1840 W Augusta Boulevard in West Town. The alterations will comprise of an interior conversion from six to eight dwellings, as well as the construction of a new rear porch and basement slab. The permit ownership has been listed under the name “1840 W Augusta LLC Agent Gabe Horstick.”