The historic “Chicago Tribune” sign has been reinstalled at the rapidly progressing Tribune Tower Residences in Magnificent Mile. Previously occupied by the Chicago Tribune since its initial construction in 1925, the 34-story landmark was sold in 2018 upon the publication’s relocation to One Prudential Plaza. Co-developers CIM Group and Golub & Company are now converting the Gothic Revival icon at 435 N Michigan Avenue to house 162 condominiums alongside retail at the base and a swath of residential amenities.
Work is continuing to progress for the adaptive reuse of an existing art-deco style building at 3115 N Broadway in Lakeview East. With JSM Venture Inc. as the owner, the existing five-story parking garage will have two new stories added and be retrofitted to accommodate ground-level retail and 72 apartment units.
Final facade work is underway for 332 N Michigan Avenue, a three-story mixed-use renovation at the northeast in the corner of The Loop. The building was damaged in a fire last year, requiring extensive interior and exterior repairs. Permits to replace the street-facing facade and renovate the inside were issued in November of 2020 under the name 926, LLC.
Renovation permits have been issued to convert a three-story residential building from four to five total units. Located at 2623 N Kimball Avenue in Logan Square, the occupying owner, Matthew Cremins, also plans to build out the building’s basement floor into a living space that will connect to the first-floor unit. It is unclear which floor the new unit will occupy, or how the interior will be partitioned in order to accommodate the new residence.
Conversion work is nearing completion for the Phoenix Development Partners project at 226 W Jackson Boulevard in The Loop, where the developer has planned to convert a former 14-story office building into two separate hotels. The original 238,000-square-foot edifice was constructed in 1904 and is classified as a National Historic Landmark. Prior to the conversion, the structure housed the headquarters of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, then later the headquarters for the City Colleges of Chicago.