The Chicago City Council has approved a new residential development at 1800 W 17th Street in Pilsen. Located west of the intersection with W Wood Street, the new proposal replaces an empty lot in a heavily residential area not too far from the National Museum of Mexican Art, and just south of Union Pacific Global yard and tracks. Developer SBSS Holdings LLC is working with local design firm Hanna Architects, who are known for their small-scale neighborhood projects across the city, on the new multi-unit property in the bustling neighborhood.
The Chicago City Council has approved the acquisition of various vacant city lots in Pilsen for the creation of affordable housing. The lots are located at the intersection of S Peoria Street and W 18th Street and represent the largest developable property in the neighborhood and future construction would continue the vibrant street wall along 18th Street. The $12 million purchase of the 6.3 acres by the city brings the tally of money spent towards affordable housing up to $1 billion, a major investment in many changing communities.
Photos show the ongoing renovation and restoration work at the six-story former Temptation Chocolates Building, located at 1929 S Halsted Street in the Pilsen neighborhood. The 1920’s-era building is clad in a white terra cotta facade in the neo-gothic style.
Final touches are drawing closer toward completion for the second phase of an adaptive reuse project known as Mural Park. The developers Condor Partners, Transwestern, and Chicago Development Partners are converting two four-story masonry warehouses to commercial and office space, while adding a new park space in between. The second phase of this project is the southern of the two buildings, located at 920 W Cullerton Street. Last year, it was announced that the parent company of Blue Cross Blue Shield would lease the entirety of this second building.
Construction has fully completed for PLSN Condos, a four-building mixed-use development at 816-832 W Cullerton Street in Pilsen. Arranged linearly along Cullerton Street, the westernmost building stands three stories, while the remainder are four stories. Planned by Public 2 LLC, the new structures have replaced a formerly vacant lot.