New walls, signage, and windows can be seen along the exterior of the former Morton Salt Factory in West Town, where developers R2 Companies, Blue Star Properties, and Skydeck have planned an adaptive re-use renovation. This revamped complex at 1357 N Elston Avenue will house a new entertainment venue inside the main shed, as well as supplementary R&D offices for Morton Salt in the old packaging buildings. Other changes include the removal of the east shed, a new one-story access corridor, and a new food stand within the former garage.
1357 N Elston Avenue
The iconic Morton Salt branding and logo has re-emerged at the former Morton Salt Factory in West Town. This refurbished roof is part of an adaptive re-use scheme by R2 Companies, Blue Star Properties, and Skydeck. These plans at 1357 N Elston Avenue involve the conversion of the facility into a new entertainment and office venue.
Replacement roofing can now be seen taking place atop the main shed at West Town’s former Morton Salt Warehouse. This replacement serves as the first key step in a larger adaptive re-use project, which will transform the former facility into a new entertainment and office venue. Located at 1357 N Elston Avenue, the factory was originally completed in 1930, where it long served as the central production and manufacturing hub for the salt company. In 2017, R2 Companies purchased the aging complex from Morton Salt, while partnering with Blue Star Star Properties and Skydeck (a subsidiary of The Michael Polsky Family Office in Chicago) in the process.
Photos show the roof replacement for the prominent shed portion of Chicago’s Morton Salt Warehouse Complex in West Town. This replacement is one of the first key steps in a major adaptive re-use project that will transform the complex at 1357 N Elston Avenue into an office and entertainment venue.
The Chicago City Council has approved the landmark designation of the Morton Salt Warehouse Complex in West Town. Addressed at 1357 N Elston Avenue, the complex is located at the intersection of N Elston Avenue and W Blackhawk Street. The eastern edge of the site is along the northern branch of the Chicago River. Blue Star Properties and R2 Companies are the developers and owners behind the complex.