The iconic Morton Salt branding and logo has re-emerged at the former Morton Salt Factory in West Town. This refurbished roof is part of an adaptive re-use scheme by R2 Companies, Blue Star Properties, and Skydeck. These plans at 1357 N Elston Avenue involve the conversion of the facility into a new entertainment and office venue.
Lamar Johnson Collaborative
Work has begun on a 15-story condominium building known as Embry, located at 21 N May Street in West Loop. The 207-foot-tall boutique tower will replace a pair of previously demolished masonry buildings along the relatively quiet May Street, just north of the busier Madison Street intersection. Given its height, the tower would have ranked 24th in Chicago YIMBY’s 2021 countdown of tallest construction developments.
Replacement roofing can now be seen taking place atop the main shed at West Town’s former Morton Salt Warehouse. This replacement serves as the first key step in a larger adaptive re-use project, which will transform the former facility into a new entertainment and office venue. Located at 1357 N Elston Avenue, the factory was originally completed in 1930, where it long served as the central production and manufacturing hub for the salt company. In 2017, R2 Companies purchased the aging complex from Morton Salt, while partnering with Blue Star Star Properties and Skydeck (a subsidiary of The Michael Polsky Family Office in Chicago) in the process.
The Chicago Plan Committee has approved a new golf practice area at 3701 N Recreation Drive in Lake View. Located inside of Waveland Park behind the 1931 English Gothic style field house and carillon tower, the new outdoor facility is the second phase of a larger project which included renovations to the clubhouse. The course sits on land that belongs to the Chicago Park District‘s Sydney R. Marovitz Golf Course, who have been partners of the project since the beginning.
Photos show the roof replacement for the prominent shed portion of Chicago’s Morton Salt Warehouse Complex in West Town. This replacement is one of the first key steps in a major adaptive re-use project that will transform the complex at 1357 N Elston Avenue into an office and entertainment venue.