The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the rehabilitation of the old Engine Company 84, Truck 51 firehouse at 6204 S Green Street in Englewood. Led by developer Englewood Connect LLC, the renovation is the first phase of the larger 4.28-acre project hoping to bring a healthy lifestyle hub to the neighborhood near the existing Whole Foods. Designers Skidmore, Owings & Merrill took into consideration the historical design of the building many in the Fire Department refer to as ‘The Castle’.
Commission on Chicago Landmarks
Preservation Chicago has nominated seven new sites for landmark status with the Commission on Chicago Landmarks. The seven locations are spread out across the city and represent multiple architectural styles, typologies, and scales that hold significance to the city and its historical legacy.
Developer Henry Street Partners, LLC has applied for a redevelopment permit of the Cenacle Retreat and Conference Center at 513 W Fullerton Avenue in Lincoln Park. The application came to the Commission on Chicago Landmarks as the existing complex stands inside of the Mid-North Landmark District, which was created in 1974 to protect the various 19th century buildings in the area.
Restoration work nears completion of the Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral located at 1121 N Leavitt Street in Ukrainian Village. The Louis Sullivan-designed historic cathedral was built in 1903 and is one of two houses of worship he did in his time of practice. The roughly $600,000 renovation will keep the cathedral and rectory going for the next 100 years and is being led by the parish with the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the final landmark recommendation for the Monastery of the Holy Cross at 3101 S Aberdeen Street in Bridgeport. Located at the intersection of W 31st Street and S Aberdeen Street, the church structure was formerly the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church.