The Commission on Chicago Landmarks (CCL) has approved preliminary landmark status for the Illinois Bell Building in The Loop. Located at 225 W Randolph Street, the building stands at the corner of W Randolph Street and N Franklin Street. The tower rises 427 feet over 31 floors, and was constructed in 1965. The building was originally home to the headquarters of its namesake tenant, the Illinois Bell Telephone Company, while most recently home to AT&T offices.
Commission on Chicago Landmarks
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has granted approval for the demolition of the existing buildings located at 4601-11 N Broadway and 4613-17 N Broadway, paving the way for a new development at 4601 N Broadway. Located on a corner site at the intersection of N Broadway and W Wilson Avenue, the project is a transit-oriented development sitting across the street from the newly renovated Wilson CTA L station, serviced by the Red Line.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the proposed renovation of a three-story structure at 1460 N Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park. The building sits on an interior lot along N Milwaukee Avenue between W Evergreen Avenue and N Honore Street. The site is a five-minute walk from the Damen CTA L Station, serviced by the Blue Line. Benjamin Neikrug of 1450 N. Michigan LLC is listed as the owner behind the application.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the addition of an elevator to the riverwalk. The new elevator will be located at 65 E Riverwalk South, along the riverwalk between the N Wabash Avenue and N Michigan Avenue bridges. The elevator will allow for better accessibility, as well as aid in deliveries to vendors along the riverwalk. The City of Chicago is the entity in charge of the project, with Muller and Muller Architects in charge of the design.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved preliminary landmark status for the Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley House. Located at 6427 S St. Lawrence Avenue in West Woodlawn, the brick two-story is the former home of Emmett Till and his mother, Mamie Till-Mobley. The two lived on the second floor with Emmett’s aunt and uncle on the first floor, and his cousins on the basement level.