The Permit Review Committee, a subcommittee of the Commission on Chicago Landmarks, has approved the adaptive reuse of the former Morton Salt Warehouse Complex. Located at 1357 N Elston Avenue in West Town, the former manufacturing complex is bound by the north branch of the Chicago river to the east, N Elston Avenue to the west, and W Blackhawk Street to the north. The nearest public transportation is the 70 CTA Route accessed at the Division and Elston bus stop, a five-minute walk from the property. The Division CTA L station on the Blue Line is a 13-minute walk away. Blue Star Properties is developing the project in collaboration with R2 Companies.
The scope of the project looks to complete exterior and interior alterations to the complex, which will potentially receive landmark status. Originally designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White in 1930, salt company Morton Salt occupied the building from its original construction until 2015. It processed salt that was mined in Michigan, which was then distributed within the Chicagoland area.
Designed by Lamar Johnson Collaborative, the adaptive reuse and renovation of the complex will hold multiple tenants with several uses. Developers will ensure the work meets standards for moving forward with landmark designation in the future.
The packaging buildings are one- and two-stories tall on the north end of the site. The development will replace the existing windows and doors and reopen the bricked up windows and doors. Select new window openings will be resized for light and ventilation requirements. A new canopy will be added over the loading dock. Morton Salt will have an R&D facility within these buildings. The garage buildings will have their windows and garage doors replaced, with closed-up doors reopened.
The Salt Shed building is proposed to hold a music and event venue. The freestanding garage building will hold a food and beverage retailer. The packaging buildings will be converted to office and complimentary commercial use.
For the shed building, multiple changes will be made. The rail car lean-to, that was added in 1994, will be removed. The existing transite panel roof surface will be replaced with insulated roof panels with outward facing corrugations to mimic the corrugated steel. The existing transite is at the end of its life and cannot be replaced due to asbestos in the material. The painted sign will be replicated on the new roof system. Original wall openings will be infilled and new openings for windows will be made.
The east shed building was demolished with city permits as it was substantially deteriorated. The demolition exposed concrete walls on the west shed building. A proposed one-story addition to the shed building will extend the entire length of the east elevation. The floor line aligns with the eaves of the existing roof, and the addition will be supported by steel columns rising from grade. The addition will be covered by a roof extending from the east slope of the existing roof. The interior will enclose a hallway to access the raised box seating for the entertainment venue. The shed will include a series of open balconies for views of the Chicago river.
The converted shed will preserve the exposed steel structure, overall volume, and industrial character of the interior. Floor plans show that the south end will hold the performance stage and two stories of backstage space. The northern end will be occupied with three stories of sloped seating, while the center will remain open.
With this approval, the project can move forward towards construction. No permits have been filed for the construction of the project.