The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the proposed renovation of a three-story structure at 1460 N Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park. The building sits on an interior lot along N Milwaukee Avenue between W Evergreen Avenue and N Honore Street. The site is a five-minute walk from the Damen CTA L Station, serviced by the Blue Line. Benjamin Neikrug of 1450 N. Michigan LLC is listed as the owner behind the application.
Designed by Bugaj Architects, the proposal details renovations to a three-story frame, mixed-use building. Work includes the replacement of the front façade cladding, adding a new storefront, and adding a new cornice. The first floor will remain commercial space, with the upper floors holding five units.
The extents of the rehabilitation will include the removal and replacement of all existing siding, any original siding underneath the existing siding will be repaired and preserved if possible. Any historical features discovered during rehabilitation must be reinstated and incorporated into the design.
The new design is based off of an old historical photo provided to the architects. Copper and siding will be used in the window bay design with ornament generally matching the historic image. Windows will be double hung wood- or aluminum-clad wood windows, featuring semi-circular arches and decorative metal trim. A projecting copper cornice will cap the building.
The building currently has a wood storefront that appears to be original, but is in very poor condition, and will be requiring replacement. A new aluminum storefront will incorporate a transom and limestone bulkhead, matching the original storefront configuration.
A timeline for the project has not been announced and permits have not yet been filed.