Remaining facade work is approaching completion for the new two-story amenity clubhouse at Prairie Shores, a five-building apartment complex in Bronzeville. Co-developers Golub & Company and Farpoint Development had purchased the complex in 2019 for $180 million, having partnered with Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group. This acquisition kicked off a string of renovations throughout the property, including interior renovations of the 1,675 residences, landscaping improvements, and common area upgrades.
Initial plans have been revealed for a new elevated park trail spanning the length of an abandoned Kenwood CTA tracks in Bronzeville. Plans for a recreation space on the aging infrastructure have been discussed as far back as 2005 and recently started solidifying with the creation of the Bronzeville Trail Task Force (BTTF) in 2020 to begin the community outreach and fundraising efforts to execute the concept. The task force is currently working on preliminary studies and budgets while seeking a formal designer for the project as well.
Funding has been approved for the construction of a new performing arts center at 4343 S Cottage Grove Avenue in Bronzeville. Located just north of the intersection with E 44th Street, the center will utilize an existing two-story masonry clad building on the Bronzeville Cultural Corridor. The project was conceptualized by local actor Harry Lennix who is working with developer Keith Giles, investor Mike Wordlaw, and local firm Nia Architects on the design of what Lennix envisions to become the “Black Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.”
Updated details have been revealed for the mixed-use development at 4000 W North Avenue in Humboldt Park. Dubbed Team Pioneros, the Invest South/West-winning project was presented to the Committee on Design this past week as it begins its journey towards groundbreaking. Park Row Development is working with a 100 percent Latinx-owned team led by local architecture firm JGMA who will not only be working on the design, but will be moving into the restored Pioneer Bank upon completion.
The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events has announced the completion of the restoration of the Grand Army of the Republic rotunda and hall in The Loop. Located within the Chicago Cultural Center at 78 E Washington Street, the 125-year-old dome and hall were completed in 1897 in what was then the city’s main public library after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Thanks to a large special grant, the city was able to partner with Harboe Architects and Daprato Rigali studios to execute the year-long process that deployed cutting edge technology to peel back the layers to the building’s past.