Community Facility

Winthrop Garden POP! Plaza Opens At 4628 N Winthrop Avenue In Uptown

The City of Chicago has celebrated the grand opening of the Winthrop Garden POP! Plaza at 4628 N Winthrop Avenue in Uptown. Located on the short back road just north of the intersection between N Kenmore Avenue and W Wilson Avenue, the new space replaces an existing community garden which has stood in its place for nearly 20 years. Building off of the upcoming Platform 4611 apartments, the efforts were led by the neighborhood run Uptown United along with the Chicago Department of Planning and Development.

Read More

Groundbreaking Held For National Public Housing Museum In Near West Side

A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the National Public Housing Museum at 1322 W Taylor Street in the Near West Side. Located on the corner with W Taylor Street near the SOM-designed Little Italy public library and the upcoming Chicago Fire FC facility, the project is part of the larger Roosevelt Square Plan hoping to bridge the Taylor Street corridor. Developers Related Midwest and the Chicago Housing Authority are working with local firms HED Architects and Landon Bone Baker Architects on the one-of-a-kind institution.

Read More

Northwestern Reveals New Stadium Plans At 1505 Central Street In Evanston

Plans have been revealed for a new football stadium at 1505 Central Street in Evanston. Located on the intersection with Ashland Avenue, the new structure for Northwestern University will replace the existing venue within their sports complex which also features an indoor arena as well as a baseball diamond. The university is leading the development efforts with Kansas City-based architects HNTB serving as the designers, who have worked on similar facilities for Ohio State and University of Michigan.

Read More

Adopt-A-Landmark Fund Approved For Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church In Grand Boulevard

The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church at 4501 S Vincennes Avenue in Grand Boulevard. Located on the intersection with E 45th Street, the historical church is credited as being the birthplace of Gospel music and a long term stalwart of the local community. Under a new pastor, the church hopes to see a renaissance as it uses the money for the restoration of the Dankmar Adler designed synagogue, originally built for the Isaiah Temple congregation.

Read More

Adopt-a-Landmark Fund Approved For Pui Tak Center In Chinatown

The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Pui Tak Center at 2216 S Wentworth Avenue in Chinatown. Located just south of the intersection with W Cermak Road near the Chinatown Gate, the multi-story structure has been an anchor for the surrounding community for decades. Originally built for On Leong Merchants Association in 1928, it was designed by architects Christian S. Michaelsen and Sigurd A. Rognstad in an Orientalism-style.

Read More

Fetching more...