A construction permit has been granted for a new mixed-use development located at 3155 W Fifth Avenue in East Garfield Park. The three-story mixed-use building, developed by Preservation of Affordable Housing Inc, is the first phase of a two-part plan that will replace a formerly vacant lot.
Exterior work continues to progress on the Victor F. Lawson House, a historic 24-story building at 30 W Chicago Avenue in the Near North Side. Originally designed by Perkins, Chatten & Hammond and completed in 1931, the former YMCA will be transformed by developer Holsten Real Estate into 408 affordable studio apartments. Since the last article on the project, structural work for the new fire egress and elevator towers has taken shape, while windows and facade restorations continue.
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved the mixed-use development dubbed Galleria 89 at 8840 S Commercial Avenue in South Chicago. Located on the northwest corner with E 89th Street, the project is one of the winners of the 2021 Invest South/West requests for proposals and will preserve one of the existing structures on site. Developer 548 Capital is leading the team with Rivetna Architecture and Farr Associates both working on its design.
A completion date has been announced for the upcoming mixed-use development at 1959 W Lake Street in the Near West Side. Located on the intersection with N Damen and directly across the street from the new Damen Green Line station, the project will be one of the final phases of the greater Westhaven Park development near the United Center. The team of Brinshore Development and The Michaels Organization is working with local architecture firm Landon Bone Baker (LBBA) on the design.
A groundbreaking has been held for the United Yards development along 47th Street in Back of the Yards. With its center located on the intersection with S Ashland Avenue the multi-building proposal won its Invest South/West bid back in 2021, now construction has been split into phases with the first two underway. Developers Celadon Partners and Blackwood Group worked with local architecture firm DesignBridge on the adaptive reuse and new construction proposal.