Renovation Work Progresses at the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park
Exterior renovations can be seen making progress at the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) at 5700 S Lake Shore Drive in Hyde Park. At the northern end of Jackson Park, just northeast of the now-underway Obama Presidential Center, this Beaux-Arts edifice is originally known as The Palace of Fine Arts, built for Chicago’s World Columbian Exposition in 1893. The building was designed by Charles Atwood for the Chicago-based firm D. H. Burnham & Co, originally founded by Daniel Burnham and John Root. Standing as a centerpiece to the original exposition plan, the structure was the only one within the fair grounds to utilize a brick substructure underneath its plaster facade.