Exterior renovations can be seen making progress at the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) at 5700 S Lake Shore Drive in Hyde Park. At the northern end of Jackson Park, just northeast of the now-underway Obama Presidential Center, this Beaux-Arts edifice is originally known as The Palace of Fine Arts, built for Chicago’s World Columbian Exposition in 1893. The building was designed by Charles Atwood for the Chicago-based firm D. H. Burnham & Co, originally founded by Daniel Burnham and John Root. Standing as a centerpiece to the original exposition plan, the structure was the only one within the fair grounds to utilize a brick substructure underneath its plaster facade.
Initial details have been revealed for a new welcome center in the DANK Haus building at 4740 N Western Avenue in Lincoln Square. Located on the corner of W Lawrence and N Western Avenues, DANK, whose name is the German acronym for German American National Congress, has occupied the building since 1967. With the goal to preserve German-American culture and businesses in the neighborhood, fundraising for the expansion will continue through to the year’s end.
Plans have been filed with the Committee on Zoning for a new community and youth center at 1219 W 87th Street in Auburn Gresham. Sitting just southeast of the corner with S Elizabeth Street, the new center will partially replace an existing one-story building which was recently purchased by the Progressive Beulah Pentecostal Church after a lengthy fundraising campaign. The new structure is being designed by local design firm Blue Lines Architecture with general contractor Praxis Construction Inc out of Wheeling.
Work has completed for the second phase of the Steppenwolf Theater campus expansion in Lincoln Park. This new theater-in-the-round is now open for performances, with 50,000 total square feet of space and seating for 400 patrons. The building at 1646 N Halsted Street, designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, also comes with a two-story atrium and lobby, a wine bar and lounge area, as well as a costume shop.
Invest South/West has revealed two new mixed-use development schemes for its RFP site at 4000 W North Avenue in Humboldt Park. The site sits on the corner of W North Avenue and N Pulaski Road and is made up of the landmarked Pioneer Trust and Saving Bank along with its .75-acre parking lot to the north. Goals for the RFP include new commercial space, rental and for-sale housing, and public spaces with the opportunity to celebrate local culture.