The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church at 4501 S Vincennes Avenue in Grand Boulevard. Located on the intersection with E 45th Street, the historical church is credited as being the birthplace of Gospel music and a long term stalwart of the local community. Under a new pastor, the church hopes to see a renaissance as it uses the money for the restoration of the Dankmar Adler designed synagogue, originally built for the Isaiah Temple congregation.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved the Adopt-a-Landmark Fund for the Pui Tak Center at 2216 S Wentworth Avenue in Chinatown. Located just south of the intersection with W Cermak Road near the Chinatown Gate, the multi-story structure has been an anchor for the surrounding community for decades. Originally built for On Leong Merchants Association in 1928, it was designed by architects Christian S. Michaelsen and Sigurd A. Rognstad in an Orientalism-style.
Updated details have been revealed for a community arts center at 1353 E 72nd Street in Greater Grand Crossing. Located just west of the intersection with S Dorchester Avenue, the project will rehabilitate the previously abandoned St. Laurence Catholic School which has sat vacant after past redevelopment plans failed. The creative force behind the new art-focused spaces is the Rebuild Foundation led by Theaster Gates who is well known for his Stony Island Arts Bank project. Woman-owned Muller 2 known for their O’Hare Terminal 5 extension are serving as the architects, while Power & Sons as the general contractor.
This week, YIMBY stopped by the Adler Planetarium in South Loop‘s Museum Campus, with exterior renovation wrapped up earlier this year. While the building re-opened earlier in March, the makeover today still warrants an article highlighting the building’s re-clad copper dome.
The sale and potential demolition has been announced of the Epworth United Methodist Church at 5253 N Kenmore Avenue in Edgewater. Located just south of the intersection with W Berwyn Avenue, a little east of Foster Beach and the lakefront, the church has stood in this spot since its completion in 1891. News on its sale recently broke to the congregation who hosted their last service within its walls this past Sunday, after a last-minute estate-sale in order to part ways with surplus items. The church is the latest in a long string of historical structures in danger of demolition for new developments.