The Victor F. Lawson House, a historic 24-story building at 30 W Chicago Avenue in the Near North Side, has received new windows as part of its ongoing affordable apartment transformation. This 1931 Art Deco tower, one of the tallest buildings in Chicago at the time, was designed by Perkins, Chatten & Hammond.
Walsh Construction Company
Directly west of the Chicago River across from Goose Island, a tower crane permit has now been issued for a large-scale distribution center and warehouse. Owned and developed by Logistics Property Company (LPC), the 11-acre site was once home to a Peoples Gas production facility and required extensive rehabilitation following its previous use.
Construction has now ascended past the 12th floor at 160 N Morgan Street, a 30-story mixed-use tower in Fulton Market District. At 350 feet in height, the new high rise by Sterling Bay and Ascentris will tower above the majority of the other buildings west of the Kennedy Expressway, making a significant mark on the growing West Loop skyline.
The Vautravers Building at 947 W Newport Avenue in Lake View has undergone additional work since it was lifted and moved last year. The historic three-story edifice was shifted west by 30 feet to accommodate the new tracks for the Red-Purple Modernization project. At 1,000 tons, the structure was prepared by using a system of jacks and bracing which were staged beneath the building, with ongoing, along with the installation of new copper paneling along the exterior.
Renovation work continues for the 24-story Victor F. Lawson House at 30 W Chicago Avenue in Near North Side. The Art Deco high rise was originally designed by Perkins, Chatten & Hammond and completed in 1931. Developer Holsten Real Estate will be deconverting the former YMCA from 538 single room occupancy units into 408 affordable apartments. In exchange for keeping all on-site units affordable until at least 2073, the project received both low income housing tax credits and $12.4 million in historic preservation tax credits.