YIMBY recently spoke with Larry Booth, a founding member of the Chicago Seven and principal at Booth Hansen, about his latest book, “Modern Beyond Style and the Pursuit of Beauty.” With a career spanning decades, Booth has significantly influenced both Chicago’s architecture and the wider field. In the following interview, he discusses insights from his new book and reflects on key milestones and challenges that have shaped his work
The construction of the facade for the five-story mixed-use building at 1135 W Winona Street in Uptown is approaching completion. Now known as ‘The Sally’, the project by Cedar St. Companies follows their early project dubbed ‘The Draper’, located directly west across Broadway. With the other structure to be located at 1131 W Winona, both buildings in this second stage will rise five stories, containing ground-level retail spaces and 180 total residential units – 168 apartments and 12 townhomes.
The new Computer Design Research and Learning Center at the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC), situated at 900 W Taylor Street in Little Italy, is rapidly approaching exterior completion. This five-story extension will be linked to the existing Science and Engineering Labs building, expanding UIC’s capacity for its computer science program, as well as related research and projects.
A full permit has been granted for 2700 N Pine Grove Avenue, under development by the Second Church of Christ Scientist. This permit paves the way for a mixed-use development near the intersection of W Wrightwood Avenue in Lincoln Park. The approved project involves restoring the existing church building and constructing a six-story, 80-foot addition. This structure designed by Booth Hansen will be integrated with the existing church facade.
The University of Illinois Chicago’s new computer science building at 900 W Taylor Street in Little Italy is now undergoing facade installation. The five-story structure, called the Computer Design Research and Learning Center, is under construction and will connect to UIC’s existing Science and Engineering Labs building. Once completed, the center will add 135,000 square feet of new programming to support the university’s growing computer science program.