Window installation is now wrapping up for the new Rush Specialty Hospital at 516 S Loomis Street in Little Italy, part of the Rush University Medical Campus expansion. This new facility, currently under construction, will offer 135,000 square feet of new space and house 100 beds dedicated to acute, rehabilitation, and long-term care. The hospital will be located just east of the Joan and Paul Rubschlager building, which is currently under construction on its parking garage. The new building will be adjacent to an empty lot that could potentially house up to 855,000 square feet of programming in the future.
Rush University Medical Center
Steel is quickly reaching its pinnacle height for the new Rush Specialty Hospital at 516 S Loomis Street in Little Italy. This new building is the next step in the Rush University Medical Campus expansion and will be located just to the east of the Joan and Paul Rubschlager building, which is currently under construction on its parking garage. There is an empty lot between these two projects that awaits a future building with up to 855,000 square feet of programming.
Next on our list of Chicago’s Tallest Countdown is Rush University Medical Center’s new 10-story cancer and neurosciences building at 1520 W Harrison Street in the northwest corner of Little Italy. Known as the Joan and Paul Rubschlager Building following a significant gift from the namesake couple, the nearly completed facility stands 179 feet to its architectural pinnacle. Despite this height, planning documents indicate that a future expansion could bring the final height to 205 feet. The structure connects directly to the clover-shaped Rush University main building, with a 150-foot skybridge connecting the two edifices over Ashland Avenue.
The Chicago City Council has approved the rezoning for a new medical building and future expansion at 1400 W Harrison Street in the Illinois Medical District. Bound by W Harrison Street to the south, S Loomis Street to the east, and the Eisenhower Expressway to the north, the building continues the mass expansion of the Rush University Medical Center. This second phase of construction leaves one last approved expansion pad on the land that used to hold student housing, while also extending the campus east a full city block.
Structural bridge pieces have now been lifted into place across the seven-lane span of Ashland Avenue, connecting Rush University Medical Center‘s main building to the new Joan and Paul Rubschlager Building. This 10-story structure at 1520 W Harrison Street will serve as a new cancer and neuroscience building for the Rush University medical campus, with programming for diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, infusion therapy, and integrated medicine.