Initial demolition permits have been issued for the mixed-use development at 566 W Van Buren Street in West Loop Gate. Located on the northeast corner with S Jefferson Street, the new structure will replace a large surface parking lot along with two existing commercial buildings dating back to the 1890s. Led by co-developers Riverside Investment and Blue Star Properties, the project is being designed by Antunovich Associates who worked on the recently completed 609 W Randolph Street nearby in a similar industrial style.
The penultimate addition to our Dead by Design series of cancelled Chicago projects is a gargantuan 2011 proposal oriented around the nine-story Old Chicago Post Office. The original post office was a smaller mail terminal designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst and White. Having completed in 1921, the Art Deco structure was expanded in 1932 to bring its total square footage to 2.5 million square feet. While shuttering its mail operations in 1996, the building was inducted into the National Registry of Historic Places in 2001, then would be sold by the city to Bill Davies of International Property Developers in 2009 for $24 million.
In a week of similar milestones, construction has gone vertical for 741 N Wells Street, a 21-story mixed-use development in River North. The 201,000-square-foot development by Vista Property will yield a total of 168 apartment units atop a ground-level retail component. The project will also preserve a two-story masonry building situated directly to the north.
With cladding not far behind, structural work has now topped out for 1044 W Van Buren Street, an 18-story mixed-use high rise along the southern edge of West Loop. Previously a two-story masonry building, the site is being developed by Tandem, whose plans call for a total of 196 for-rent apartments atop a ground-level retail component.
Facade work is now underway at Tandem’s 1044 W Van Buren Street, a new 18-story rental residential tower in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood. The 196-unit development will rise along the southern edge of the neighborhood, replacing a former vacant lot.