Renovation is now visible and in full swing for the Victor F. Lawson House, a 24-story Near North Side high rise, which was built in 1931. Located at 30 W Chicago Avenue and formerly a YMCA, developer Holsten Real Estate plans to convert the 272-foot structure to 408 apartment units, deconverted from 538 single room occupancy. Programming will also include on-site social services and ground-level retail.
Earlier this month, YIMBY reported on the Committee on Design’s review of 170 N Green Street, where CRG (of St. Louis-based Clayco) and Shapack Partners have planned a massive mixed-use development. The Fulton Market site was previously owned by Bridgford Foods, whose former packaging facility is currently undergoing full demolition. Clayco purchased the property for $60 million in 2020, prior to which Bridgford Foods had considered its own plans for a 17-story building to occupy the site.
Just north of the Randolph & Aberdeen intersection in West Loop, Greystar Development’s 166 N Aberdeen Street can be seen rising past the second floor. The 21-story project involves a mixed-use package of ground-level retail and 224 total apartment dwellings. Greystar purchased this parcel, a former sausage factory, for $6 million from MCZ Development.
The Chicago City Council has approved financing for a mixed-use development at 1134 S Wood Street in the Illinois Medical District. Located on the northwest corner of W Roosevelt Road and S Wood Street, the project will replace an existing parking lot belonging to The Chicago Lighthouse who will operate the new facility. Chicago Lighthouse is partnering with Brinshore Development on the Landon Bone Baker Architects-designed structure which we last reported in late 2021.
Exterior construction has completed for Trammell Crow Company’s 400 N Aberdeen, a new 16-story development by Trammell Crow Company, situated just north of the Fulton Market District in West Town. This mixed-use project serves as the second phase to the developer’s Fulton Labs campus, whose first installment was the 14-story “West End on Fulton” at 1375 W Fulton Market Street. This latest addition to the expanding campus is primarily made up of offices with built in lab spaces, meant to gear towards biotechnology and life science companies. Other programming includes ground-level retail, a large open lobby, a 175-car parking garage, and a suite of office amenities.