Photos show continued work at 226 W Jackson Boulevard in The Loop, the site of Phoenix Development Partners‘ planned conversion of a 15-story office building into a space for two Hilton hotels. The original 1904 limestone and terra cotta structure was designed by Frost & Granger, and housed offices for both the North Western Railway and City Colleges of Chicago up until its re-designation. As part of the conversion, the developer agreed to rehabilitate the exterior walls of the landmarked buildings in exchange for Class L tax incentives.
The new programming will comprise of a 135-room Hilton Garden Inn within the lower portion, and a 214-room Canopy by Hilton above. Additional spaces include a grand lobby, 2,500 square feet of conference rooms, and a new 16th-floor enclosure and rooftop deck, set to house a 4,800-square-foot restaurant and bar. The new enclosure will have a more contemporary metal-panel facade, while the surrounding terrace area will integrate ample green space.
A host of transit options are available within the area, including stops for bus Routes 1, 7, 28, 121, 126, 130, 134, 135, 136, 151, and 156 all within a one-block radius. CTA L service, meanwhile, consists of nearby access for the Brown, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines at Quincy station, a two-minute walk east.
The conversion project lies directly across Franklin from the Willis Tower, which has received its own extensive renovation and new construction that YIMBY previously covered.