Restoration work nears completion of the Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral located at 1121 N Leavitt Street in Ukrainian Village. The Louis Sullivan-designed historic cathedral was built in 1903 and is one of two houses of worship he did in his time of practice. The roughly $600,000 renovation will keep the cathedral and rectory going for the next 100 years and is being led by the parish with the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved an Adopt-A-Landmark Grant for the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church of Chicago. Located at 2614 N Kedzie Avenue in Logan Square, the historic church is located between W Wrightwood Avenue and N Milwaukee Avenue overlooking Logan Square Park.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved an Adopt-A-Landmark grant for Pilgrim Baptist Church in Bronzeville. Located at 3301 S Indiana Avenue, the church is sited at the intersection of S Indiana Avenue and E 33rd Street. Originally built as a synagogue by Adler & Sullivan in 1891, the church was destroyed by fire in 2006, with only the stone exterior walls remaining. The structure was designated as a Chicago landmark in 1981.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved an Adopt-A-Landmark grant for Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral and Rectory in Ukrainian Village. Addressed at 1121 N Leavitt Street, the church and rectory building are located on a corner lot at the intersection of N Leavitt Street and W Haddon Avenue.