The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has approved an Adopt-A-Landmark grant for Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral and Rectory in Ukrainian Village. Addressed at 1121 N Leavitt Street, the church and rectory building are located on a corner lot at the intersection of N Leavitt Street and W Haddon Avenue.
The Adopt-A-Landmark Grant is funded by the Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus which offers increased development bonuses for projects in the city in exchange for cash payments. Projects that receive the grant must be consistent with landmark guidelines. The commission must approve the scope of work and associated budget, which requires that the grant be used for a substantial interior or exterior renovation that is visible from the public street or within a portion of the interior that is open to the public.
The Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral and Rectory was established by Ukrainian immigrants back in 1903,with its design coming from Louis Sullivan in the Russian Revival style. It was designated as a Chicago landmark in 1979.
Restoration of the building has occurred in phases since 2008. The scope of work includes repairs to the windows, exterior stucco, and the ornamental metal on the octagonal dome. The belfry also underwent restoration, while repairs to the ornamental metal entrance portico were performed, and concrete work at the entrance was completed.
The church was granted $250,000 for the renovation and restoration of the exterior façade. This grant will cover the next phase of work. Both buildings will undergo stucco repair, ornamental metal repair, exterior paint, and concrete stair replacement. Additional work on the rectory and hall building includes window replacement and balcony repair. The work will total a cost of $650,570.
Work on the church is expected to begin in spring 2021. Permits for the work have not been issued.