Conversion work is nearing completion for the Phoenix Development Partners project at 226 W Jackson Boulevard in The Loop, where the developer has planned to convert a former 14-story office building into two separate hotels. The original 238,000-square-foot edifice was constructed in 1904 and is classified as a National Historic Landmark. Prior to the conversion, the structure housed the headquarters of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, then later the headquarters for the City Colleges of Chicago.
Work will involve the refurbishment of the existing facade and key architectural elements, in exchange for Class L tax incentives. The updated programming, meanwhile, will comprise of a 135-key Hilton Garden Inn, with a 214-room Canopy by Hilton on the above floors. The revamped building will also house a grand lobby area, 2,5000 square feet of conference rooms, and an added 15th-floor rooftop enclosure and terrace with a restaurant and bar.
Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture is project’s main design architect. While much of the building’s design will be retained and restored, the new 15th floor will involve a contemporary mix of floor-to-ceiling walls, corrugated metal walls, and a mix of accompanying flora.
The property lies directly across from the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, and is prominently located in the dense southwest corner of The Loop. Guests will find a variety of transportation access points. Bus Routes 1, 7, 28, 121, 126, 130, 134, 135, 136, 151, and 156 within just a block of the site. The building is also within a two-minute walk of the CTA L’s Quincy station, with service for the Brown, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines. Additional Metra and Amtrak trains are available at Union Station, located a six-minute walk west.
Leopardo Construction is the general contractor for the more than $100 million undertaking, with work expected to complete later this year.