A ribbon cutting ceremony has been held for the mixed-use redevelopment of the old Covent Hotel at 2653 N Clark Street in Lincoln Park. Sitting on the corner with W Drummond Place, the project is the first phase of a larger development that includes the lot in the rear. The work was led by the NHP Foundation and Drummond Development with local firm Weese Langley Weese Architects working on its design.
The redevelopment focused on creating affordable apartments out of the historical hotel built in 1915 and once included a theater. The three-story Classical Revival style building was previously an SRO with 64 single occupancy rooms, however in 2016 NHP took over the property and kicked off the renovation efforts. Formalized plans were announced a few years ago and broke ground late 2022.
Now after over a year of construction, the building has opened with 30 semi-furnished studios with private kitchens and restrooms across the top two floors. These are all designated as permanent supportive housing for those making 30- or 50-percent of the AMI, supplemented with vouchers from the Chicago Housing Authority. Residents will share a common laundry room, outdoor patio, and on-site services.
The ground floor merged the previous eight-commercial spaces into four and the new residential lobby according to the city’s press release. The $21 million project was partially funded by the second phase proposal next door with 84-units and designed by Brininstool + Lynch, along with $5 million from DOH funds. The project opened on time with a fourth quarter 2023 date having been originally announced.