Renderings have been revealed for a proposed mixed-use development at 1245 W Fulton Market in Fulton Market. Fronting W Fulton Market, the project site is located at the intersection of N Elizabeth Street and W Fulton Market. The property is currently a vacant lot. Sterling Bay is the developer behind the proposal.
Designed by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture, the new construction would consist of a 25-story mixed-use tower. Expected to rise 314 feet, the structure will hold ground-floor retail space topped by 350 units. While still to be finalized, the projected unit mix will consist of approximately 70 to 80 percent studios, convertibles, and one-bedrooms, and the remaining roughly 20 percent will be two-bedroom apartments. Parking will include 92 car parking spaces and 199 bike parking spaces.
The design consists of a two-story podium that fills the site, topped by a slender tower that is oriented in the east/west direction. The podium is wrapped by a metal frame element that is infilled with brick to reference the surrounding context. The tower portion, set back from W Fulton Market, is clad in glass divided into a grid by a dark metal frame. The volume protrudes over the east end of the podium, carving out at the bottom for the residential entry. The western end is set back from the property line to give space between it and the newly approved tower at 1215 W Fulton Market. The eastern and western faces will be terminated with outdoor balconies.
The ground floor holds retail space that faces W Fulton Market and the residential entry is off of N Elizabeth Street. The entrance is flanked by a small green space, dubbed a parklet. Parking and loading will be accessed on the ground floor from the alley. The podium will be topped by a residential amenity deck that hosts outdoor space, an outdoor pool, and a pet run. Outdoor amenities will be paired with interior amenity space on the third floor.
The development will meet affordable housing requirements by providing 70 units of affordable apartments. Representing 20 percent affordability, 10 percent or 35 units will be provided on-site, with the remaining 35 being provided off-site. The developers will be contributing approximately $1.8 million to the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund. Sterling Bay hopes to present at the Chicago Plan Commission meeting in September and break ground in first quarter of 2022.