Construction has officially commenced for a new seven-story parking structure at West Loop‘s 1371 W Randolph Street. The development, previously addressed as 1340 W Washington Boulevard, is a joint partnership between the Plumbers Local Union 130 and the Chicago Title & Trust Company. Located within the union’s campus, this new addition will provide the campus with parking 502 vehicles and 36 bikes. The building will come with additional retail space with a third-level terrace for outdoor dining.
OKW Architects is behind the modern design, which involves perforated metal, cement, and brick cladding. Renderings also depict planters that will line the outer walls and further complement the architecture. Lastly, the south-facing wall will provide illuminated signage for the union.
As far as nearby bus transportation, Route 20 can be found via a four-minute walk south to the intersection of Madison & Loomis. Also nearby are bus stops for Routes 9 and X9, located a seven-minute walk northwest to Ashland & Lake. For those wishing to board the CTA L, both the Green and Pink Lines are available via Ashland & Lake’s adjacent Ashland station.
The union plans to continue developing its campus, with a second building intended for a parcel adjacently east of the current construction. In the meantime, this parcel will be occupied by a grass plot.
W.E. O’Neil Construction Company is serving as general contractor. With caisson work having kicked off, crane work is expected to begin next month. A full completion date for the $25 million project has been penned for next year.