Exterior restoration work of the Old Republic Building is well underway at 307 N Michigan Avenue in the northwest corner of The Loop. Originally designed by Vitzthum & Burns and completed in 1924, the 24-story commercial office and retail building was known as the Bell building until 1956 and designated as a landmark in 2010.
The owner is listed as Aaron Jacoby of the owner-occupying Old Republic International Corporation. According to permits issued this past May, the work involves repairing and replacing multiple parts of the facade, including 2,000 terra cotta pieces and 1,000 bricks. Additional work includes new tuck-pointing and restoration/redoing of the shelf angles and flashing.
The centrally-located landmark lies amongst a vast array of retail, dining, and commercial options, as well as various points of interest. These include the Chicago River’s Main Branch and Riverwalk less than a block to the north, as well as the 319-acre Grant Park slightly further south.
CTA bus transit options stopping at the adjacent Michigan & South Water intersection include Routes 3, 6, 20, 26, 66, 124, 143, 146, 147, 148, 151, 157, 850, 851, and 855. Other buses within a one-block radius include Routes 120 and 121 just west, and Route 4 to the east.
A host of CTA L options also lie in the vicinity. State/Lake station, which is serviced by the Orange, Purple, Brown, Pink, and Green Lines, is located a six-minute walk southwest. The Red Line, meanwhile, can be found a seven-minute walk southwest to Lake station. Lastly, the Blue Line subway is a nine-minute walk southwest to Washington station.
Central Building & Preservation is the general contractor for the $12 million project, while Central Building & Cleaning is serving as masonry contractor.