An initial foundation and basement permit has been issued for a new commercial development located at 1323 S Ashland Avenue in Little Italy. The project will include a six-story commercial building with office space, retail, and a rooftop garden, occupying 48,000 square feet in total. The site is owned under development by 4S Bay Partners, having previously been occupied by the St. Stephenson Missionary Baptist Church. According to an article by Block Club Chicago, the office spaces will be oriented towards community service and nonprofit organizations.
The listed architect for the project is Bauer Latoza Studio. The submitted filing indicates the inclusion of a rooftop garden in the design. A rendering for the 80-foot structure shows a colorful mix of stacked cylindrical volumes encased within a glass and metal curtainwall facade.
Plans call for four underground parking spaces and one loading dock. As for public transportation, the closest bus routes are 9, X9, and 12 all located at Ashland & Roosevelt via a three-minute walk north. Meanwhile, the two closest CTA stations are Polk and 18th, each offering Pink Line service and each a 12-minute walk from the site.
The general contractor for the project is ACCEL Construction Services Group. The reported construction cost of this first phase of the project is $3 million, while an estimated completion date has been indicated as mid-2024, according to the developer’s website.