Foundation work is beginning to rise for a two-story commercial building at 801 W Belmont Avenue in Lakeview East. Developed by Hubbard Street Group, the project is replacing a masonry bank and surface parking lot on the block bound by Belmont Avenue, Clark Street, and Halsted Street. This former bank at 3179 N Clark Street was originally designed by Ivar Viehe-Naess and built in 1921. Demolition was completed in late 2021.
With nearly 300 feet of Belmont Avenue frontage, the new structure will house 59,000 square feet of commercial or retail space. The 48-foot design by Hirsch MPG involves red brick facade with towering loft-inspired windows and dark metal trimmings. There will also be full-height mural space along both Belmont Avenue and Clark Street.
The building is near to both buses and the CTA Belmont station, which offers connections around the city via the Brown, Red, and Purple Lines. There will be 87 underground parking spaces for tenants and visitors, as well as convenient access to various transit systems. Bus service can be found for Routes 22 and 77 at Clark & Belmont Street, while Routes 8, 151, and 156 are all accessible at Halsted and Belmont.
WM. A. Randolph is serving as the general contractor. An anticipated completion timetable has yet to be revealed.