This week, YIMBY stopped by the Adler Planetarium in South Loop‘s Museum Campus, with exterior renovation wrapped up earlier this year. While the building re-opened earlier in March, the makeover today still warrants an article highlighting the building’s re-clad copper dome.
Located at 1300 S DuSable Lake Shore Drive, the structure was originally designed by Ernest A. Grunsfeld Jr. and opened in 1930. The Art Deco building would go on to become a National Historic Landmark in 1987, then a new wing was added known as the Sky Pavilion. Designed by Lohan’s Associates of Chicago, the 60,000-square-foot addition was completed in 1999.
The scope of the work included the flat rooftop replacement of the Sky Pavilion, as well as the copper roofing of the original dome. The inside also received extensive renovations. The general contracting work was carried out by Corey P. Friel.
Those looking to visit will find parking near the site, while bus service is also available by the entrance for Routes 130 and 146. Those looking to travel by rail will find Metra trains at Museum Campus/11th Street via an 18-minute walk west. Closest CTA L service can be found for the Green, Orange, and Red Lines via a 22-minute walk west to Roosevelt station.
Currently the reopened museum’s hours are 4pm to 10pm on Wednesdays then 9am to 4pm every other day of the week. With proof of residency, Illinois residents are able to enter the planetarium for free on Wednesdays.
Subscribe to YIMBY’s daily e-mail
Follow YIMBYgram for real-time photo updates
Like YIMBY on Facebook
Follow YIMBY’s Twitter for the latest in YIMBYnews
Be the first to comment on "A Look at the Completed Exterior Renovation of The Adler Planetarium in Museum Campus"