Initial foundation work can be seen for the newly kicked-off 801 W Belmont Avenue, a two-story commercial development in Lake View East. Planned by Hubbard Street Group, the 59,000-square-foot structure will replace a former masonry bank and surface parking lot, and will provide nearly 300 feet of new frontage along Belmont Avenue.
The project architect, Hirsch MPG, has planned for a red brick facade with large loft-inspired windows and dark metal trimmings.
While there will be 87 underground parking spaces for tenants and visitors, the site is also in close proximity to various transit options. Nearby bus service includes Routes 22 and 77 via the adjacent Clark & Belmont intersection, as well as Routes 8, 151, and 156 via the intersection of Halsted & Belmont. Also within close walking distance is the CTA L Belmont Station via a four-minute walk west.
Originally located at 3179 at the corner of Belmont & Clark, the aforementioned two-story bank was generally regarded as a landmark-worthy edifice. Built in 1921 with a neoclassical design by Ivar Viehe-Naess, the structure’s preservation received grassroots support via an online petition that received more than 2,000 signatures. However, given the building’s lack of any landmark designation, demolition was ultimately carried out late last year.
The new 48-foot-tall replacement is being built by WM. A. Randolph as the general contractor. A targeted completion date has not yet been revealed.