In West Loop‘s Fulton Market District, the site of 1020 W Randolph Street is now undergoing preparation for a five-story mixed-use building. This boutique 69-foot-tall project is being developed by L3 Capital, whose planned programming will consist consists of ground-floor retail with 22,000 square feet of office space above. There will also be a sixth-level amenity area with a penthouse enclosure and a 2,000-square-foot terrace.
The masonry design is by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture (HPA). The firm envisioned a dark red face brick with textured brick accents and large four-pane windows. The style harkens to Chicago’s early brick architecture of the 19th and early 20th centuries, while also helping to establish denser frontage along the Randolph Street corridor.
While outwardly classical in its style, the building’s interior renderings depict an industrial chic aesthetic with exposed concrete surfaces. These grayscale tones are complemented by ample natural light and various accents like wood paneling, living walls, and patterned wallpaper.
While there will be no off-street vehicle parking, there will be a secure bike room with lockers and a repair station. There will also be several public transportation options close by as well, such as the CTA L Green and Pink Lines via a two-minute walk northeast to Morgan station. Bus service is also readily available, with stops for Route 20 located a six-minute walk southeast to Madison & Morgan. Route 8 is also within walking distance at Halsted & Randolph via a six-minute walk east.
Precision Excavation originally served as the demolition contractor, though the general contractor has yet to be revealed. Despite the preparatory site work, construction permits still have not been filed or issued. The latest word on the project timeline pens an opening date for later this year.