Construction permits have been issued for a new annex addition to the Wendell Phillips High School, located at 244 E Pershing Road in Bronzeville. Planned by the Public Building Commission of Chicago, the building will mainly serve as a new gymnasium, and will replace an existing surface parking lot on the northeast corner of the campus. The existing structures on the campus include a landmarked three-story brick building from 1904, as well as other two buildings built in 1937 and 1944.
The 33-foot-tall annex has been designed by Moody Nolan, which will be clad in brick and cast stone. The gymnasium will be well-lit via a series of windows on the east- and south-facing sides. Elevation drawings show that the entrance will reside at the building’s northeast corner at the intersection of E 38th Street and S Giles Avenue.
Students, faculty, and staff will find the nearest bus access for Route 39 at Pershing & Giles which that borders the southern edge of the campus. Those looking to board Route 3 will find bus stops at King Drive & Pershing via a five-minute walk southeast. Those looking to board the CTA L Green Line will find Indiana station via a seven-minute walk southwest.
The Permit Review Committee approved the design and plans this past April. The development will also receive Tax Increment Financing assistance. Burling Builders Inc. is general contractor for the roughly $13.5 million project, whose full completion timeline has not yet been revealed.